Monday, April 23, 2007

Gas Station Babe


Every night, I get off a bus from Ortigas and walk to Santolan Rd. on the way home. At the corner is a gas station where i wait for a jeep byaheng Adamson.

And every night, almost without fail, I see this scene pictured at left.

I don't know what to make of it. Either she is a bad mom, using her baby to gain pity from the passersby. Or she simply has no one to leave her baby with, so she has no choice but to bring her to "work".

She is a sampaguita vendor. Though more often than not, it's her older kid - a small kid whose height could pass for a three year old, but could be as old as 5 - who does the selling. This kid fearlessly rushes to oncoming cars, peddling sampaguita strands to the passengers.

The scene reminds me of a promise I made to a couple of kids when I was back in college. There were two young brothers (vendors of bottled water) who I befriended in Freedom Park a few years ago. As a school project, I interiewed them and got to know about the sorry state of their lives. Their story is familiar, because you've heard it countless of times. Probably not the exact same tale, but some factors are recurring. Both were brilliant in school, but had to stop because his parents didn't have enough money to send him even to public school. Besides, he said, instead of going to school, he could use the time to sell water and buko juice.

The young idealist that I was back then
told them I would help them. But I never came around to doing it because I didn't know how. I offered them a job - maybe to pack things for me when orders come in, just so they wouldn't have to carry the heavy ice box in the sweltering heat anymore. But their parents wouldn't hear any of it, thinking I was part of a sindikato gang or something. I should've thought of other ways, but I didn't.

Now, a few years later, I finally know what to do. (Thanks to a fellow multiply seller who answered my makulit questions. salamat po Leyende). I've been wanting to do this for years, but I just didn't know how to work it out. Maybe it will never help the two brothers directly, but it will help others like them and like the children of the Gas Station Babe.

*FOR EVERY PURCHASE FROM MY UNICEF ALBUM, NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL (EXCLUDING SHIPPING), 15% WILL GO TO UNICEF UNDER THE CUSTOMER'S NAME.

(So for instance, if you buy a message jewelry worth P350, P52.50 will go to UNICEF. If you buy worth P1,000, P150 will be donated in your name.)

*I CAN PROVIDE YOU A RECEIPT OF YOUR DONATION AFTER I REMIT THE CONTRIBUTIONS TO UNICEF

This is a simple and effortless way for YOU to help. I hope you support this simple project. Please shop here: http://beadlady.multiply.com/photos/album/55

*This isn't an official tie-up with unicef, so no freebies po. sorry.





10 comments: