Saturday, September 5, 2009

The cupcake "solitaire"

Just wanted to share.

I had so much fun working with silver* today! 

This is the first time I am opening my toolbox after the silver class. Sometimes, it's hard to work alone.  Especially when you have so many questions, no resources available on the internet, and your teacher is in Japan. lol.

So today, a couple of my batchmates and I got together in my still-unfinished studio in Cubao Expo, to try and work on our thesis projects (lol, more like assignments for Level 2 certification, actually).

Here's one of the projects I was able to finish today.



We are required to create a simple ring with stone setting, carving, and oxidizing.  And it should be a perfect size 13. 

I came up with a simple solitaire, but instead of a diamond, I made a teeny tiny cupcake with a synthetic pink stone (cherry) on top.

It sounds and looks so simple, but it took me the entire day to finish a single ring.

I was totally stuck on the design, I couldn't translate my ideas into something tangible, so I resorted to my time-tested favorite.  Sigh, I know, cupcake again??

I promise to do better next time.  In the meantime, I am enjoying my first ever silver cupcake. 




*eco-friendly, recycled silver! from film!

6 comments: