Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The workshops

How do you pack five years of experience into a one-day workshop? This was my ultimate challenge and goal when I started planning for the basic polymer clay lessons.


I started this business creating average-looking jewelry with the same old materials from Quiapo bead stores. It was just a pastime with no intention of making money, a hobby that soon turned into an obsession. After almost a year of working with copper wire and stringing semi-precious stones and beads through cords, I got bored. Everyone was doing almost the same thing!

So I did a bit of research into designing unique jewelry, and I stumbled upon a book with a few pages about an oven-baked material called polymer clay. The possibilities enthralled me! I searched locally for other designers using this cool material, hoping to get some tips on where to buy it, but I couldn't find anyone into clay (or maybe I just didn't know how to look).

I searched the net but came up with no answers. All directions pointed me to importing the stuff from the US, but that was out of the question at that time. I didn't have the resources to order online (it wasn't so easy back then), so it took me months to actually get my hands on this elusive clay.

I finally found the stuff in a now defunct craft store in Eastwood. Finally, I thought, I could create the designs that were brewing in my head. But fate decided to play a game on me: P150 for a tiny bar? I was a sophomore on a tight budget, so that was equivalent to more than a day's allowance already! Of course I couldn't get just one color – you had to have different hues to make beads. It was frustrating to finally find what you've been searching for, then finding out you couldn't afford it.

It was my cousin Kristine who saved the day (I am forever in your debt, cuz). We split the tab, but she ended up paying for the lion's share (I am so kapal!). So off we went, happy with just three colors. (And I didn't even choose the most useful ones, tsk.)

But little did we know that what you found in books wasn't really the real deal. The book said to roll the clay between your palms to create a round bead. And so we did. But the book didn't say how to control sticky clay, nor did it instruct us how to create the hole without distorting the bead, or why the damn thing never ends up round, or why when I bake the beads in the toaster, they either turn up crumbly or scorched. The book certainly left out a lot of things. I searched for other books but like the first book, they were simply filled with how-tos, not with actual problem solving.

So I called up the craft store, asked if they offered lessons. Yes, they did. For half the price of my entire semester in UP. Yikes. I would save up, I promised myself. But by the time I came up with the money to pay for the lessons, the store was gone, dead, defunct. I was left with no other choice but to learn the hard way.

I wasted many bars of clay, bought the wrong brands, used the wrong materials, scorched beads because of the wrong equipment, spent many hours doing the wrong thing before finally doing it right. In the end, I spent almost the same amount I would have paid for the workshop, but wasted more time than was necessary.

But do I regret being self-taught? No. The years of hard work provided me with enough experience to build the business I have today. The same way experiences make good writers, years of trial and error make good techniques.

So there lies the basis for my workshops: time-tested techniques, beyond what the books offer, beyond what the internet tells you, beyond what you thought you knew.

Call me stupid, but in every workshop I teach, I can't keep my secrets secret. I don't have the heart to send off participants with false information, or with something half-baked (literally and figuratively). I don't want their work ending up like most of the poorly made, carelessly thought-out clay fstuff now in the market. As I always say, strive for perfection. No one can ever be perfect, but you can be close. (Although as one participant said, "too perfect won't make your work look realistic"… so if you're making food jewelry, aim for realism instead. Haha!)



To share that aha moment with the participant – that moment when you see the truth dawn on their faces (ah, ganun pala yun!) – is priceless. More than the financial rewards of teaching, it is my own aha moment I look forward to. Every workshop I teach renews my interest in polymer clay. It keeps my creative juices flowing; it has awakened days of uninspired designer's block. When I take out molds that have long been forgotten and see the participant's face light up after she makes her first charm, it's like seeing everything for the first time all over again. Teaching has given me a fresh perspective, and at this point in my career, nothing beats a fresh idea.

And boy, do I have ideas. There are so many details I want to share in the workshops that I end up getting tongue-tied trying to organize my thoughts. As snippets from a past experience here or a past mistake made there are shared, the course outline I prepared becomes a mere guideline than an actual lesson plan. As I tell my participants, the outline is just the tip of the iceberg.

And the rest of the iceberg? It is presented in a well-planned, easy-to-understand-and-remember approach, thanks to my background in Dev Com. I never would have thought I could tie up my BS degree with this passion for the crafts. (Hard to believe right, considering how technical and noble the field of Dev Com is and how artsy fartsy I am right now?) But as it turned out, all those lessons in journ, edcom, and scicom, and about "bridging the gap between technology and the masses" would prove to be useful in this teaching endeavor. Sounds technical, I know, but all I mean is that I understand how to make technicalese sound like plain English for beginners.

But the workshop is not just for beginners - it's for non-beginners, too. Because the sad truth is, the sudden interest in all things clay has sparked a hasty plunge into commercialization, with handmade clay stuff beginning to look like clones of each other, like the way chunky semiprecious stones and Swarovski jewelry were all the rage when I was starting out.

I've always been critical of mediocre craftsmanship. This is why I decided to teach. This is why I can't keep my secrets. I aim to address this mediocrity, this pwede na attitude. I aim to make others understand the importance of good quality, of striving for perfection. If second-rate products (read: fragile, messily crafted) are continuously introduced out there, then clay will never be taken seriously, despite its potential. I am not an expert, because I do not know everything, but I've made my share of mistakes over the years, and made enough realizations worth sharing.

So how do you pack five years of experience into a one-day workshop? The answer is, you can't. But I will damn try.




Here's to Ms Pars, who patiently waited for a year, who shared her thoughts and made suggestions. I learned a lot from you.

To Ms Ghie, who trusted me enough to make the long trip from Bulacan to Pasig , who always texts to cheer me on.

To Ms Jhasy, who made my day in Alabang last Monday, who was the buena mano but doesn't know it, whose lovely color choices have inspired me.

To Ms Hazel, whose works were prettier than mine, and a beginner at that!

To Ms Bang, who already makes wonderful and unique clay stuff on the onset, but still searched for perfection through the workshop.


Thank you!

39 comments:

  1. Oh! This is very well said! Ang galing mo talaga! I'm really thankful that I met a person like you who is smart, hardworking and very generous in sharing your secrets of becoming successful in this business. Thank you and God bless you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm, may pag aa ba ang isang interested sa clay pero parang ni katiting na creativity eh wala ako. saka how much ang fee if ever? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Angeli :-) I didn't realize you learned from me as well. I am so grateful for all the things you taught us.... sabi nga ni Ghie super selfless haha. thanks also for helping me source my materials, I know you're really busy. But I will try to make beads the right way ( the Angeli way!) para di masayang your patient teaching :-) God bless you, I'm sure you will go a long, long way pa. Your work continues to inspire me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yey! galeng talaga ni jill! idol ko yan eversince makilala ko siya... super love ko yan!! muwa happy birthday jill!!!!! maski OT he he he he

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday jill! love it that you're generous with your talent and that you care so much about the art of making clay accessories... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. rose... pag magka"inspiration" ka na mag aral at sinipag na eh.. sali tayo sa workshop ni jill... ang tanong eh, KELAN :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, tulog pa ata si Ms Angeli, but on her behalf, maraming salamat po sa inyong lahat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi jill! Happy Birthday! I'm happy for you, for everything you've achieved. You're such a hardworking person...such an inspiration! Call me when you're here in Bacolod ha, kitaay ta liwat, mishu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi! i was looking for ways to create beads online and where to buy the clay, but i couldn't find anything useful. do you still offer workshops? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angeli!!! ;)

    "classic" talaga how we met! ;)

    Thank you for sharing your knowledge. and I would also like you to know that you are an AMAZING person. Saludo ako! :)

    P.S. Kinilig ako sa sinabi mo na my lovely color choices inspire you! huwaw...i inspire a brilliant artist! :)

    Jhasy O.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow so inspiring.. i was actually having second thoughts on whether i should join or not since i might still be in the night shift by that week, but after reading this touching blog i just realized who cares about sleep when one of the most amazing opprurtunities is just right in front of you? i wouldn't wanna miss for anything! looking forward to attending the next workshop.. and see you at the bazaar! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey angeli! jst wanted to say thanks for sharing with us your knowledge on pmc, my sis and i really had fun :) now we got to get a pasta maker and oven hahahahah

    thanks once again! can i just say even my mom was impressed with your works! kudos to you!!!

    have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how much is your workshop fee? will this include the materials?

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi ms. angeli! i dont know where to put my feedback so i decided to put it here. anyways, thanks for sharing your talent with us. It was tiring but its really fun. i havent started yet because right after the workshop, we went straight to cavite for swimming outing with my family, so it was really tiring for me. i cant wait to start making my own miniatures. I hope i can get in touch with you in case i have some questions about it. sana nga matuloy yung clay party that we're talking about...

    again, thanks and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how much is the fee for the workshop im interested

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi there!!! been busy lately..stressed ang beauty ko!! hay! oh well... thank you for the kind words. haven't done much clay works lately becasue of work (huhuhu!!) and still need to fix my other blog where i'll be posting my clays. so when is the next workshop? i super enjoyed the workshop -- thanks for sharing with us your tips and tricks!! hehehe!! God bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello ms angeli! i would like to know exactly how much is the fee for the workshop? and i know that the exact address will be given after registration but is it possible to know more about the place? Like, near what landmark, etc? Accessible by public transport, etc. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's what you call passion! When you do something passionately, it comes from the heart. It always overflows that it has so much joy to share it to others. And yes, you always want the outcome to be the best (no matter how tiring or even taken for granted). I hope many Filipinos will be like you who's not selfish to share their talent and intelligence to help others. Your kindness to share is even more beautiful than your creations! Always remember, its only lent to us and He wants us to share it to others. And that is why you are blessed coz you did a great job! God bless my dear! I'll be seeing you in the may 24 class and looking forward to learn and make wonderful treasures with you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi dear, how much is your workshop fee? location? ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi angeli. i've read the article in the paper kagabi, then now, after reading your blog, i got more and more interested in your beadwork! im a beader myself! :) im going thru the "bored" stage now! and im eager to experiment on something new, something unique! i am really interested to attend your workshop. pls PM me the details. thanks.

    so, uplb grad ka rin?

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi angeli. may i request some details of the workshop? thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. me too! sana may saturday class ka din..hehe..its hard to travel on sunday..shuhuhu

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi ms angeli... may i request also details and sked of your workshop... ia very interested in learning clay art... here's my email add kodanjo1998@yahoo.com thanks and more power, god bless you..

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi! i'm selling my electric oven. almost brand new. regalo sakin actually e i'm not using it kc i have 2 ovens na. good working condition. baka may interested just email me: hmpadilla@yahoo.com or just pm me. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi Angeli! when will you have your next workshop? can you pm me the fees and the location? thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  26. sis! pls send me the workshop details.. tnx :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi ms. angeli! your work are lovely and inspiring. you definetely are an icon in the clay craft. hope to have a chance to attend your seminars. God bless and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  28. and thanks for all the tips! you're really very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. please send me the workshop details! really really interested! thank youu.:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi! I would love to enroll in one of your workshops. Please send me details. Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  31. hello pls PM me or email me at tina_cheng_23@yahoo.com for the next beginner class workshop you'll be having =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi ms. angeli.want to know when are you going to have the next workshop.pls indicate the exact place and time.thanks.

    ReplyDelete